Skip to main content

State Police

Commercial Vehicle Safety

Working to enforce safety regulations as well as educate drivers and industry about commercial vehicle safety.

WELCOME to the Commercial Vehicle Safety Section of the Idaho State Police. Links are listed below to better assist you or feel free to contact us by e-mail or telephone, or you can find or follow us on these services:



New Regulations

Information about the new ELD regulations can be found at the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's website: Electronic Logging Devices

If you have questions about agricultural operations and/or livestock, updated information is available from FMCSA at: FMCSA Guidance for Agricultural Operations.

You can also contact our office at 208-884-7220.



Wondering if the exemptions from medical cards apply to you? The changes can be confusing. See the information here to determine if the exemptions apply to you. Still have questions? Call our office (208) 884-7220.


Distracted Driving
is a serious problem for commercial and non commercial drivers. 

For more information see our Distracted Driving Page.   


Aggressive Driving - Truck image

Aggressive Driving Support Group video

Aggressive Driving is Dangerous. 

Targeting Aggressive Cars and Trucks (TACT)


Dot Numbers

All Interstate and Intrastate DOT numbers are issued on-line by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. For more information or an application, please go to their website at:



About Us
Find your district contact, learn about our mission and meet the staff!

Carrier Profiles and SafetyNet
Learn more about this international software program and obtaining your carrier profile.

DOT Numbers and Regulated/Exempt Commodities .

Read about regulated/exempt commodities, weight and passenger regulations.

Regulations, Rules and Statutes
Make sure you are within the legal rules and guidelines for weight, materials, licensing and other topics.


Any person who believes that he or she, individually, or as a member of any specific class has been subjected to discrimination prohibited by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and related Nondiscrimination authorities that include but are not limited to, the American with Disabilities Act of 1990, and Section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act of 1973, may file a complaint with the Idaho State Police (ISP). A complaint may also be filed by a representative on behalf of such a person. All complaints will be referred to the ISP’s Title VI Coordinator for review and action.